Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Breaking Down the NCAA South and West Regions

 
The Madness begins this Thursday! This is one of the most enjoyable times of the year. My brackets all set and I already bit all my finger nails off. Here's what The Shark thinks about the left side of the tournament.


South Region

 
The South region appeals to me the least. I don't think too many crazy March moments are going to go down. The only team I think that can take Kansas down is Maryland. Every other team in this region I really don't care for at all. I'd be surprised if there's a worthwhile bracket buster in the South.

 
Sweet 16:

 
#1 Kansas vs #5 Maryland

#2 Villanova vs #3 Miami

 
Yea I know it's chalk. Sometimes chalk happens. Maryland was a team I wanted to consider in the Elite 8 but I can't put them past Kansas. I think that game will be a good one, but Kansas will prevail. Maryland got screwed in my book. I want to see California vs Maryland because I will drop a major bet on the Terps to take them down. I think the Terrapins are better team than both Villanova and Miami and would of benefited greatly if they were in the bottom part of this region instead of getting stuck with that potential Kanas matchup in the Sweet 16.

Villanova and Miami got drawn easy roads to set up their matchup with each other. I'd be very surprised to see either falter before the Sweet 16. These were teams I really wanted to give the pre-Sweet 16 knockout to but they got set up too nicely so now I reluctantly have to put one of them over the other. A lot of people seem to like the potential Iowa/Temple upset over Villanova but I'm not buying into either of those teams. Iowa finished the year like shit and Temple got owned by Uconn after a 4 overtime game in the American Conference tournament. So in the Miami/Nova matchup that I couldn't be less fond of, I'll go with Jay Wright's squad. They feel like the deserve a #1 seed (preposterous), and Miami's bigs are way too inconsistent for me to invest in them becoming one of the final 8 teams.

 
Elite 8:

 
#1 Kansas vs #2 Villanova

 
Bill Self's team usually finds a way to choke in these tournaments of late. This team has all the tools to win the championship this year. Perry Ellis is about 30 years older than everybody in school and Frank Mason III and Wayne Seldon Jr. are athletic play makers. Kansas was the #1 ranked team in the nation and outside of Maryland, have the easiest road to the National Championship including whoever their West region opponent will be.

 
South Region Winner: #1 Kansas



West Region

 
This is one of my least favorite brackets. If you haven't heard or read my take on Oregon being a #1 seed and Duke being a #4, all I can say is that it completely infuriates me. In my opinion, a team I don't like is going to come out of this region and I blame the committee for that. This is where my bracket has big surprises. I believe this part of the bracket is filled with average teams. Anybody can take it. This region should be a wild one.

 
Sweet 16:

 
#1 Oregon vs #4 Duke

#2 Oklahoma vs #6 Texas

 
If Michigan State was the #1 in this region (which they completely deserved!), they would be blessed with an easy cake walk to the Final 4. If Duke and Oregon can't get to the Sweet 16 it would baffle my mind, but I'd love it despite it butchering my bracket big time. I fully expect to see both these team meet in the Sweet 16. Now as for this cringe worthy matchup... I don't think Oregon all that great. I also think Duke blows. There must be a winner though unfortunately. I'm going with the Blue Devils. Better coach with a gritty team that can hit some clutch shots. Grayson Allen is the Division 1 Tool Bag of the Year award winner but he can lead Duke past these overrated Ducks.

Oklahoma was a team I thought I'd knock off in the Sweet 16. I think they got put in a good place. The Sooners rely on the 3 ball, and when their not hitting them, it turns defences into the game plan of "don't let Buddy Heild beat us". I'm a little butt-hurt that Texas A&M nonsensically got a #3 seed over Kentucky and put into the mediocre West region. I still can't seem to understand how losing the SEC championship to Kentucky gave the Aggies the higher seed. I never will. I think A&M could get stunned by Green Bay. They should get their moneys worth at least. If not, I like point guard Isiah Taylor and the Longhorns to take down A&M.

As for the Oklahoma vs Texas matchup. These two rivals met two times this year. Texas lost to Oklahoma in Norman but completely pulled away in the final 5 minutes in the 2nd half when Oklahoma came into town for a 76-63 lead. Texas showed they can hang with the top seeded Sooners. Texas did most of their big-win damage on their home court. The Long Horns finished with a 14-3 home record. That will not be the case in the tournament games. I'm not a big enough believer in the Sooners to invest highly into them going deep in the tournament. I love Isiah Taylor and even though they indeed have the hardest journey to get to the final 4, I think they can do it.

 
Elite 8:

 
#4 Duke vs #6 Texas

You probably haven't seen too many people with these teams in their Elite 8. It's risky but I can really see it happen. This region will ultimately make or break my bracket besides correctly or incorrectly having the national champion right. Duke vs Texas did not meet this year. Texas played some ACC teams and did pick up a quality victory over the North Carolina Tar Heels. Both these teams would come off huge victories over #1 and #2 seeds and potentially #5 and #3 seeds. I think if Duke got to this point, there's no looking back. Texas will be out-coached. Both teams are undersized and it will come to a battle of Grayson Allen and Isiah Taylor. I think Texas is a better team but Duke would of had to catch fire to get to this point. I'm going with Duke and their momentum to make a trip to Houston. The committee blessed Coach K with a great seed and great spot, and the Blue Devils are going to take advantage of it.

 
West Regional Winner: #4 Duke

 
There it is. Two complete opposites. Conservative and ballsy. It was hard setting my mind on the West region but I'm going for it. Check in tomorrow for my breakdown of the right side of the tournament before unveiling my final 4 results before the madness begins!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment